Friday, March 13, 2020

Books suggestion for these Coronavirus Weeks

Lockdown and reading. Telling to you the truth I neglected sometimes reading books because too obsessed by the so-called novel coronavirus and news constantly checked through the various apps I installed. 

I admit that it is a good condition reading for distress the mind perpetually  in a sourmenage of thoughts. Reading means staying in the page, in the book and in the story.

I brought one day ago in the living room various piles of book suggestions for all of you; I started the video, then in the middle I remembered that I could not go anywhere for posting it. Living in a countryside means that the connection of the smart phone is not as great as in the city it is but we have more freedom and it is great. I thought so that a post was the quickest idea.

If you are interested at the past pandemic "flu" I suggest you the book by Laura Spinney Pale Rider in Italian 1918 L'Influenza Spagnola La Pandemia che cambiò il Mondo, and then Viral Modernism The Influenza Pandemic and Interwar Literature by Elizabeth Outka. In this study how reacted a lot of writers at the passage of the Spanish Flu through their masterpieces.

Children in this phase are at home so some good fairy tales books should be available to them, for reassuring them, for letting pass some good times. I suggest you The Children's Treasure of Literature in Color, every Disney's book you can find, The Bedtime Treasury a book published by Parragon.
Another book very good to my point of view for your children when they go to bed is Best Loved Animal Tales for Bedtime. Children love tales about animals. Let's add also The Wizard of Oz by Baum, Anne of Green Gables and following books by Montgomery. Let's remember that the production by Montgomery is immense. You find other books with short tales or poems throught the Toronto University Press. 
Laura Ingalls Wilder with La casa nella Prateria, the adventure in the Prairie are best readings or rereadings in these days. Classics as Heidi, Remi, Jack London's books, Stevenson will be great for adults and children as well. 
Spiderwick by Tony di Terlizzi and Holly Black will be a fascinating trip as also The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis. Perfect is rereaading in these dark times The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings by Tolkien. 
We musn't forget Philip Pullman. I recently read The Scarecrow and His Servant and I found it enchanting, without forgetting his sagas. Another author I want to suggest you is Michael Morpurgo and also KateDiCamillo. 
A dreaming children's author is Joan Aiken with The Serial Garden and all books by Nesbit: one truly funny is The Enchanted Castle. 

If you search for some escapism connected with mystical, magical world why not reading American Indian Myths and Legends by Richard Erdoes & Alfondo Ortiz? It is beautiful. Nature, animal become alive and protagonists of wonderful or terrible stories. 
Garth Stein is a winning suggestion with Corvò Rubò la Luna his first wonderful book (I discovered this author thanks to this book) and The art of Racing in the Rain, L'arte di correre sotto la Pioggia. Then all Nick Hornby's books because, simply, they're intelligent ones. 
I adore, and adore and adore Fannie Flagg the author of Fried Greeen Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Café. Apart that book, I suggest to you all her recents or less recent books, because her messages are always of hope, altruism, and new beginnings. 
Close to me I have A Redbird Christmas and, oh well, it is truly enchanting.
If we want to stay in this corner of the world and time of the year, why not reading Christmas in Plains by beloved ex President Jimmy Carter? A short, little book, but absolutely tender. His little town and Christmases spent there are portrayed with great affection and tenderness.
We know that spring is coming but maybe we must remain in our houses. Maybe we won't be in grade of planting flowers or veggies during this spring. 
No delicious tomatoes, no potatoes, no onions and so on. We still don't know anything, but we can read about gardens and seasons. I suggest you The Oxford Book of Garden Verse Edited by John Dixon Hunt and A Light Little Weeding by Richard Briers. I hadn't never read a gardening book so poetic and touching as this one is. A curious book is Tulipomania by Mike Dash. It's the story of tulips and what it meant their arrival in Europe and precisely in Netherland. This time a romantic, appreciated arrival for sure!
Cecelia Ahern is an author that you can pick up with confidence, like Claudia Carroll, Sheila O'Flanagan if you want to spend some relaxing time with good and funny love-stories.  
Maeve Binchy will transport you in a world populated by hope, friendship, great  humanity, compassion. Maeve was and is a wonderful story-teller. I am personally reading his last book and I find it very relaxing for the days we are living.

Do you prefer a good laugh? I don't want to forget Wodehouse. If you search for some funny time go for him. His brilliant writing-style, the adventures always funny and surprising of his characters will put you in a good mood. 
Ken Follett: I suggest you Worlds Without End and the Pillars of the Earth. 
I find beautiful Un appartamento a Parigi, Un appartement a Paris by Guillaume Musso.
Back to UK why not reading some books by Miss Read? Her production is immense. 
The Bridges of Madison County by Robert Wallace Waller is a great book for sure like also Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. 
Another author I suggest you is Joel Dicker. I recently read in italian Il Libro dei Baltimore and I remained enchanted by the narrative power of this author. I bought also the french edition and his previous book La Verite sur L'affaire Harry Quebert.
In the first case we see the personal story of Marcus Goldman a successful writer, with an interesting story to tell of his own family. A story of past, friendship and unity.
The second book portray Marcus with the block of the writer, the research of escapism and an homicide in the middle.
Stoner by Williams is a classic that you must read. I thought that William's writing-style was unique, but I discovered someone with the same touch: Anne Beattie. I suggest you New Yorker Stories. 
Full Hearts and Empty Bellies by Winifred Foley the story of a generation maybe without shoes, maybe without food, but absolutely wonderful!

My copy is still in the hands of my priest, I read it many years ago and now I found a used copy at the Books for Dogs's store: Journey by Moonlight by Antal Szerb. Our city, Gubbio, is the protagonist of this novel, that I can tell you that, bewitched me many years ago when I read it.
John Grisham and Gray Mountain will let us discover what there is behind the industry of coal, but not just this: it will let us see what it means for an attorney to be helpful for real people with real problems.
If you love sagas, the one of Poldark by Winston Graham is a winning one. 
Are you a dog lover? Mmmm... I suggest you Nigel, My family and Other Dogs by Monty Don. 
Do you like travel books? All the ones of Museyon Books, great travel guides, and if you want to discover much more Paris all John Baxter's production without forgettin Peter Ackroyd's stunning books about London.

Classics are all wonderful: personally I suggest The Fountain Overflows by Rebecca West and North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell.
An original book is The Peterkins Papers by Hale. This book will transport you into a family pretty peculiar and absolutely original!

Folks, I think  that's all for now.

The list doesn't include many more authors I wanted to add but I guess that we will return to write on reading in secluding times... other times.

For all updates please check out frequently my site: alfemminile.blogspot.it

May God Bless Us All.

Anna Maria Polidori 

No comments: