Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Laura Clark the courage of a warrior


I always enjoy to sending during the Christmas Season Greetings Cards to my numerous friends in the USA.  Laura Clark is a lady I had known when Constance
Grayson, our beloved painter lived in Caifiordi and was surrounded by a lot of artists. Laura stayed in my heart because I met her and other friends during a superb luncheon
a sunday morning at Connie's
house and it was the perfect day: beautiful sun, great food, more than staying in Umbria, it sounded that I was transported for some moments in the profound South of the USA.
Something magical. I really miss that years. I learnt a lot from all my American friends. There is a profoundity, there is knowledge of reality and a filter of feelings and reality that it is absolutely unique.

Laura stayed in front of me during all the luncheon. She talked spanish having taught it at the Poplar Bluff Junior School and she knew some italian words as well. After lunch
she created two beautiful portrait
s of me and I was absolutely enchanted
by them. I understood during that meeting that she was a lovely and wise lady.
Not only: once returned in the USA she loved to staying in touch; her Christmas's cards the most creative ones because created by her, painting, drawing, she loves to add many stamps, a tripude of colors and joy and happiness. They are in the perfect Christmas's spirit. 
When I received this year her Christmas Card, Laura included also an article written by Barbara Ann Horton of the Daily American Republic.The newsmagazine interview people affected by breast cancer. Speaking of it, means prevention as well.
What I read was shocking. 
Last year Laura for Christmas  told me that her husband was seriously sick with Parkinson and Alzheimer; her son Dean is not well and under dialysis. 
It sounded more than sufficient for a family in terms of sufferance, but...No. Evidently no. Laura fell sick of a triple breast cancer in her 80s.
She confesses in the piece by Horton that she wouldn't never have thought at this possibility, because in her family people suffer in general of heart issues, but no one experienced an illness like that one. Chemotherapy, at the moment oral therapy, an aggressive cancer, Laura  says that they removed both her breasts and that she doesn't plan any reconstruction surgery. 
What touches profoundly in Laura's personal experience with sufferance is her good mood, and...wisdom. "I am thankful my cancer has been a gracious learning experience. I met wonderful professional people on this path and all kinds of interesting people in the waiting rooms. Everyone we meet is a teacher as their experiences are as unique as fingerprints." Laura admits that: "Transportation, cards and food were much appreciated, but the prayers were the most dear to me."
Words that are life's lesson and a balm for the soul. 

Anna Maria Polidori


No comments: