Wednesday, May 08, 2019

Wicked Plants The A-Z Plants that Kill, Maim, Intoxicate, and Otherwise, Offend by Amy Stewart

Just last night I discovered how Agatha Christie learnt everything about poisons, the best modality in his books for sendint to the other world killed people.
Today when I went to the second hand book store of Umbertide, Angela, a lady of the Committe of Books for Dogs asked me if I wanted to give a look at the new book arrivals. Oh my...Books are like magnets for me.
I had brought to the ladies some old books I didn't need anymore and I was sure, strong of a fact: I would have returned home with a sensation of lightness and more space. Wrong.
Lol, if you are an avid reader, you know that I failed, because surely I would have discovered new and interesting readings. And while I drove home you think: "Culture wins always!"
I brought home the same number of books I set free and maybe more.


Said that, one of them attracted my attention so badly. It's, first of all published by a publishing house I adore, Timber Press, because it treats of plants and flowers and everything colored and plantable in this world.

Just, this book made me reflect a lot.

The title is Wicked Plants
The A-Z Plants that Kill, Maim, Intoxicate, and Otherwise, Offend by Amy Stewart.

I know tales of people poisoned and cured; one of them was "taken prisoner" thanks to a poison by a lady of a foreign country in a foreign country, experiencing a semi-unconsciousness state per months.
Although doctors, once the poor man was accompanied by relatives, who saved their existence to the hospital, made a lot of toxicological exams, weren't in grade to discover which poison was the one who kept the man in that state; I know of a lady who died because ate the wrong mushroom, of people who ate certain local berries and later, suffered of hallucinations seeing this world and the other.
Yes: plants can be absolutely the best friends we have around but they can be also temible.
I was at first reluctant because of the topic. Sharing these informations or putting this book in the wrong hands can be cause of danger.

Then, reading the foreword I was reassured: the author didn't have in mind to create a dangerous book, but a book explaining to readers the possible problems caused by plants.
Living in California, there are dangerous plants.
As said in the book, Socrates has been killed by a cup of poison hemlock. If you are interested you could read what wrote about the departure of Socrates, in a writing, Plato. I read all the reportage written by Plato at 17 years and it explained in detail the symptoms that brought Socrates to death.
Each plant is classified as Deadly, where there is no escapism, Illegal, Dangerous, Offensive, Destructive, Intoxicating or Painful.
You will discover the joy of Freud, an estimator of coca, the terrible departure of a BBC's journalist; although the beautiful name the Belladonna can be mortal...

Amy suggests of paying attention when we use herbs, and when we give too confidence to them. When we accept from our friends a cup of herbal tea without to asking too much what that herb is.
Herbs in the past were used for curing the most common disturbs. A body answers bad also if the plant is an innocuous one. Imagine if it's dangerous.
It's indispensible to know plants for staying well and, of course, the author suggests that, if you think that someone is poisoned, or could be under effect by a poison caused by plants and maybe other people are interested of keeping him in their total control thanks to it, don't hesitate: call the 911. If your friend is dependant by cocaine suggests a rehab :-)

Highly recommended.

Anna Maria Polidori

No comments: